Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of the verb in brackets.
Are you going (go) on holiday this year?
1. ‘Where’s Lynne?’ ‘She (go) to Cuba. She’ll be back next week.’
2. Mike (work) in his study. Shall I call him for you?
3. If I had the chance to live abroad, I (go) .
4. I’m sorry. I think I (break) your camera when I dropped it!
5. I would have said ‘hello’ if I (see) you!
6. I (have) lunch every day with Clare in the canteen – I really enjoy talking to her.
7. ‘Didn’t you hear the phone ring?’ ‘No, sorry. I (listen) to music.’
8. She told me she (want) to meet me the next day.
9. Between 1984 and 1986 Patricia Cornwell (write) three novels.
10. I (eat) less chocolate at the moment because I am on a diet.
11. We can’t go to that restaurant again! I (go) there twice last week.
12. You will get your results in a month – a letter (send) to your house.
13. He (work) at the company for years, and he still loves it.
14. When I got home, I saw that somebody (break) one of my windows.
15. I’ll wait until she (get) here and then we’ll come over together.
Complete the sentences.
That’s the house where my father was born.
1. How much money did you take of the cash machine?
2. You’re Joel’s cousin, you?
3. I wouldn’t have missed his party if I (not / have) a bad headache.
4. We can’t have dinner all the guests are here.
5. The police me whether I had witnessed the crime.
6. If I you, I’d make a complaint to the manager.
7. Do you know where the nearest taxi rank ?
8. Will you be to look after the children next Thursday evening?
9. Are you responsible the sales figures?
10. Can you tell me the main entrance is, please?
11. My brother and I want to set our own online business.
Underline the correct word(s).
There’s no / not enough time to get the project finished today.
1. You get the job if you don’t apply for it! wouldn't / won't
2. You ride without your helmet. It is illegal. mustn't / shouldn't
3. Please talk more . You might wake up the baby. quieter / quietly
4. She’s the woman brother won the national lottery. who's / whose
5. I think cars from the city centre is a good idea. banning / ban
6. The boss me not to tell anyone about the promotion. said / told
7. Very people turned up at the meeting last week. few / little
8. I’ll see you Friday. the next / next
9. There aren’t big parks in this town. any / no
10. I’m so tired. I won’t be able to drive I have a break and some coffee. unless / if
11. I watch TV in the evenings, but now I go to the sports centre. usually / used to
12. you tell me if you hear any news?Will / Shall
13. If you went to visit her, be so happy.she’ll / she’d
14. I work harder if I want to get a better job.must / might
Underline the odd one out.
composer teacher employee violinist
1. retire / get sacked / apply for a job / resign
2. extras / thriller / horror film / comedy
3. fork / menu / knife / spoon
4. straight / curly / beard / wavy
5. take off / travel / check in / trip
Write the noun.
Complete the sentences with the correct preposition.
What are you going to do next weekend?
1. I could understand the film because it was dubbed German.
2. I spent €1,600 a holiday to Japan.
3. I’m thinking applying for a job with Microsoft.
4. She’s been charge of the accounts department for two years.
5. I’m so tired. I am really looking forward my holiday next week.
6. Excuse me, may I try these trousers ?
7. Let me pay the cake – you bought the coffees!
Complete the sentences with the correct word.
I inherited a lot of money a few years ago from my grandfather.
inherited / earned / invested
1. I think should be banned from children’s TV because they make them want material things.
channels / adverts / presenters
2. The teachers give us extra homework when some students badly.
cheat / behave / revise
3. I'm my third year of university, studying chemistry.
in / at / through
4. My sister’s a . She’s having an exhibition in London next month.
guitarist / conductor / sculptor
5. Antonia’s so . She’s always trying to get people to do what she wants.
extrovert / mean / manipulative
6. We often have dinner outside on our .
terrace / roof / path
7. Go away and don’t come .
back / here / away
8. It’s easy to buy things on . You just pay a little every month.
credit / online / tax
9. When I was in Greece, I couldn’t understand anything anyone was saying. It was so .
exciting / terrifying / frustrating
10. I’ve finally thrown my old leather jacket.
in / away / up
11. You’re not allowed to drive in a area.
residential / pedestrian / suburb
12. Could you give me a 20% on this bag? It has a dirty mark on it.
refund / bargain / discount
13. I haven’t eaten anything for hours. I’m !
starving / furious / freezing
14. She’s so . Her feelings are easily hurt.
reliable / honest / sensitive
Complete the sentences with one word.
My sister and I get on well with each other.
1. When I got playing football, the doctor said I couldn’t play again for four weeks.
2. The film The Beach is on the novel by Alex Garland.
3. Jeff yoga for an hour every day– it helps him to relax.
4. I tried to phone Mike, but the line’s engaged. I’ll call him later.
5. It was lovely seeing you again after so long. Let’s in touch.
6. Shall we meet lunch on Tuesday? There’s a new Italian restaurant in the High Street.
7. Tickets for U2 concerts always sell really quickly.
8. It was great to see you. I hope we bump each other again!